Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • Business
  • Crime & Security
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Society
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
VON Digest
  • Home
  • Business
  • Crime & Security
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Society
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
  • Home
  • Business
  • Crime & Security
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Society
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
No Result
View All Result
VON Digest
No Result
View All Result

Home » Posts » Sowore’s Arraignment Postponed as Court Adjourns to September 15

Sowore’s Arraignment Postponed as Court Adjourns to September 15

by Vanessa
August 27, 2025
in Crime & Security
0
Sowore’s Arraignment Postponed as Court Adjourns to September 15
0
SHARES
7
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday postponed the arraignment of activist Omoyele Sowore, convener of the #RevolutionNow movement, and his media outlet SaharaReporters. Prosecutors had not completed service of court summons on the second defendant, forcing the adjournment.

Justice Emeka Nwite, presiding over the matter, ruled that prosecutors must serve the media platform before trial can proceed. He explained that although the court earlier granted an order for substituted service through newspaper publication, the process was still incomplete. The judge therefore adjourned the matter to September 15, 2025, giving the prosecution time to comply.

RelatedPosts

APC Primaries Turn Deadly as Man Is Killed in Plateau

EFCC Drags Blessing CEO to Court Over Alleged N36m Fraud

Utah Woman Sentenced To Life For Poisoning Husband

Police Allegations Against Sowore and SaharaReporters

The Nigeria Police Force filed three counts against the defendants: forgery, criminal defamation, and incitement to mutiny.

Court documents claim Sowore and SaharaReporters conspired to forge a police wireless message dated July 30, 2025. The message carried the name of the Principal Staff Officer to the Inspector-General of Police. Prosecutors also said Sowore published the forged document on Facebook a day later to provoke unrest among police officers and the public.

Police Legal Officer Bassey Ibitham stated in an affidavit that investigations continue, but the force is prepared to present witnesses. Five individuals will testify, including Assistant Commissioners of Police Anthony Uba and Bukola Kuti.

Uba argued that the document circulated to damage the credibility of the police. Kuti said SaharaReporters published defamatory material linking her to an alleged affair with Inspector-General Kayode Egbetokun. She insisted the report harmed her reputation and disrupted her personal life.

Defence Response and Political Context

Defence counsel Marshal Abubakar challenged the charges and questioned the court’s jurisdiction. He described the case as politically motivated and connected to Sowore’s support for protests by retired police officers demanding pension reforms.

Sowore himself faced arrest earlier in August on similar allegations. During detention, he said officers fractured his wrist and accused authorities of targeting him for political reasons. He regained his freedom after a few days in custody.

Abubakar told the court that the charges lacked merit and were designed to intimidate his client. He further argued that the trial reflects a broader pattern of harassment against outspoken activists and critical media outlets.

Broader Implications for Press Freedom

Sowore, a former presidential candidate and founder of SaharaReporters, has repeatedly clashed with Nigerian authorities over his criticism of government actions. His #RevolutionNow campaign previously led to multiple arrests and prolonged detention.

Analysts believe the present case highlights Nigeria’s ongoing struggle between state power and press freedom. The unusual combination of forgery, defamation, and mutiny charges raises concerns about legal overreach against independent journalism. The outcome, they argue, could set a precedent for future cases involving online publications and dissenting voices.

The next hearing is set for September 15, 2025. At that session, the court will decide whether the arraignment can proceed and whether preliminary objections raised by the defence will stand.

Source: BUSINESSDAY.NG

Tags: Omoyele Sowore
ShareTweetShareSend
Previous Post

FEMA Suspends Staff After Criticism of Trump’s Disaster Cuts

Next Post

Ex-President Jonathan Calls for Credible INEC Chair Appointment

Vanessa

Vanessa

I'm a journalist and relationship columnist. Nigeria Media Merit (NMMA) 1st Runner Up Award Recipient. I'm passionate about arts, entertainment,marriage, religion and politics. I love giving back to society.

Related Posts

APC Primaries Turn Deadly as Man Is Killed in Plateau

APC Primaries Turn Deadly as Man Is Killed in Plateau

by Vanessa
May 17, 2026
0

There was pandemonium in Kasuwan Ali community, Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State on Sunday as a resident, Sani...

EFCC Drags Blessing CEO to Court Over Alleged N36m Fraud

EFCC Drags Blessing CEO to Court Over Alleged N36m Fraud

by Vanessa
May 16, 2026
0

The Lagos Zonal Directorate 1 of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), has arraigned a social media influencer and...

Utah Woman Sentenced To Life For Poisoning Husband

Utah Woman Sentenced To Life For Poisoning Husband

by Vanessa
May 13, 2026
0

A mother who published a children's book about grief after the sudden death of her husband was sentenced to life...

Abuja Court Martial Adjourns Coup Case, Bars Unrobed Lawyers From Hearing

Abuja Court Martial Adjourns Coup Case, Bars Unrobed Lawyers From Hearing

by Vanessa
May 13, 2026
0

Fresh controversy has emerged in the ongoing secret military trial of alleged coup plotters in Abuja after the court martial...

Sultan Dismisses Christian Genocide Claims, Says Criminals Should Not Be Labelled by Religion

Sultan Dismisses Christian Genocide Claims, Says Criminals Should Not Be Labelled by Religion

by Vanessa
May 7, 2026
0

The Sultan of Sokoto, Sa’ad Abubakar III, has dismissed claims of an alleged Muslim agenda to eliminate Christians in Nigeria,...

US Congress considers withholding 50% of Nigeria aid

US Congress considers withholding 50% of Nigeria aid

by Vanessa
May 2, 2026
0

The United States House Appropriations Committee has approved a foreign assistance bill that could significantly tighten conditions for financial support...

Next Post
Ex-President Jonathan Calls for Credible INEC Chair Appointment

Ex-President Jonathan Calls for Credible INEC Chair Appointment

Recommended

Diezani Challenges EFCC Over Asset Seizures

Diezani Challenges EFCC Over Asset Seizures

1 year ago
Tinubu Hails Super Falcons' WAFCON Triumph: “Enjoy Yourselves, Stay Safe”

Tinubu Hails Super Falcons’ WAFCON Triumph: “Enjoy Yourselves, Stay Safe”

10 months ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    Newsletter

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean commodo ligula eget dolor.
    SUBSCRIBE

    Category

    • Agriculture
    • Business
    • Crime & Security
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Fashion
    • food
    • Gaming
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Movie
    • Music
    • National
    • News
    • Opinion
    • Politics
    • Religion
    • Science
    • Science & Technology
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Tech
    • Travel
    • World

    Site Links

    • Log in
    • Entries feed
    • Comments feed
    • WordPress.org

    About Us

    We bring you the best Premium WordPress Themes that perfect for news, magazine, personal blog, etc. Check our landing page for details.

    • Privacy Policy
    • About Us
    • Contact
    • Terms of Use

    © 2026 VON Digest. All rights reserved. Designed by IgniteWeb.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Crime & Security
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Lifestyle
    • News
    • Society
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Science & Technology
    • Sports
    • Tech
    • World

    © 2026 VON Digest. All rights reserved. Designed by IgniteWeb.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In