Manchester United manager Ruben Amorim addressed the media before their Premier League gameweek three encounter against Burnley. The Portuguese coach is under mounting pressure following a shocking Carabao Cup defeat to League Two side Grimsby Town in midweek.
The 40-year-old faced tough questions about the humiliating loss and clarified what his post-match comments meant for both the Burnley clash and his long-term future at Old Trafford.
“I’m Going to Be Who I Am” – Amorim Stands by His Comments
After the Grimsby defeat, Amorim’s emotional remarks raised concerns over his state of mind and his position at the club. When pressed again by journalists, he did not back down.
“I know that when we lose a game like that, I’m always going to react with passion. “I know that when we lose a game like that, I’m always going to react with passion. Sometimes I love my players, sometimes my players frustrate me, and sometimes I even want to quit. But this is who I am,” Amorim said.
He admitted that frustration got the better of him on Wednesday night, explaining that he is not the type of manager who hides emotions. “I’ve been told to be calmer with the media, but I’m not going to change. I’m going to be myself.”
Amorim stressed that the Grimsby loss was particularly painful because he felt the team had been improving. “We had a good pre-season and a strong opener against Arsenal. That defeat felt like a step back, which is why it hurt so much. But now, the focus is on Burnley.”
Amorim Dismisses Resignation Rumours
The United boss also downplayed any suggestions that he was considering stepping down. Reporters reminded him of similar words he used last season, when he hinted that someone else should replace him.
“I felt that way right after the game, but I don’t feel that now,” he clarified. “What’s hardest to accept is not always the result, but the manner of defeat. Small details like recovery runs, intensity, and desire matter. That’s where we fell short. The good thing is we have another game to put things right.”
“He Needs to Fight for His Place” – Mainoo Set to Stay
With the transfer window closing, United are seeing several changes in the squad. Chelsea have already confirmed Alejandro Garnacho’s switch, while Rasmus Højlund appears close to joining Napoli.
Clubs have also linked young midfielder Kobbie Mainoo with a move, but Amorim insisted he wants him to remain at the club.
“I want Kobbie to stay. He must fight for his place, and we need him. That’s not going to change,” Amorim said. “I know players who are not playing regularly feel frustrated, but everyone has the same opportunity. Perform during the week and you’ll earn your chance.”
With Burnley looming, Amorim made it clear that his energy is now directed at restoring Manchester United’s momentum after a difficult week.