Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • Business
  • Crime & Security
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Society
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
Monday, May 18, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
VON Digest
  • Home
  • Business
  • Crime & Security
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Society
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
  • Home
  • Business
  • Crime & Security
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Society
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
No Result
View All Result
VON Digest
No Result
View All Result

Home » Posts » Cyberbullying: Court rejects defence exhibits in Sowore trial

Cyberbullying: Court rejects defence exhibits in Sowore trial

by Vanessa
February 4, 2026
in Politics
0
0
SHARES
6
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Federal High Court in Abuja, on Wednesday, rejected documents sought to be tendered by the defence in the ongoing cyberbullying trial of activist and publisher, Omoyele Sowore.

Justice Mohammed Umar rejected the documents after ruling that they could not be properly admitted through the prosecution’s first witness, who had earlier told the court that he was unaware of their contents.

RelatedPosts

Cubana Chief Priest Denies Participating in Imo APC Primary

APC Primaries Turn Deadly as Man Is Killed in Plateau

LP Cautions Aspirants Over Nomination Forms Linked to Abure

The PUNCH reports that Sowore is standing trial on a two-count amended charge of cybercrime for describing President Bola Tinubu as a “criminal” in a social media post made on August 25, 2025, following Tinubu’s claim during a visit to Brazil that corruption in Nigeria had ended under his administration.

During cross-examination, defence counsel, Marshal Abubakar, attempted to tender online publications relating to alleged corruption cases involving public institutions and officials, including reports of dismissals within the Department of State Services and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, as well as prosecutions by the EFCC.

Abubakar stated that the DSS had dismissed 115 officers in 2025 for corruption, while the EFCC dismissed 27 staff for fraud and misconduct, charged five governors for corruption, and arrested officials of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) in connection with an alleged N7.2bn fraud.

The defence counsel argued that the documents were relevant, insisting they were intended to show that corruption had not ended in Nigeria and that even anti-graft agencies, including the DSS, were still grappling with corruption.

However, prosecution counsel, Akinlolu Kehinde (SAN), objected, contending that the documents were irrelevant to the cyberstalking charge against Sowore and did not comply with Section 84 of the Evidence Act.

Kehinde told the court that the publications were neither produced by the witness nor shown to be relevant to the matter before the court, urging Justice Umar to reject them.

In his ruling, the judge held that the documents could not be tendered through a witness who had already testified that he was unaware of them and accordingly marked them rejected.

Similarly, the defence sought to tender documents allegedly containing statements attributed to President Bola Tinubu against former Presidents Goodluck Jonathan and Olusegun Obasanjo, as well as reports on Nigeria’s corruption ranking by Transparency International.

Abubakar argued that Tinubu, in 2011 while he was in Lagos, had described then-President Jonathan as a “drunkard and sinking fisherman” and his administration as “corrupt and shameless,” while also describing former President Obasanjo as “expired meat.”

The witness said he was not aware of the statements.

The prosecution again objected on grounds of relevance and admissibility, arguing that the person who deposed to the documents was not in court as a witness.

Justice Umar upheld the objections and rejected the documents.

In his testimony, the DSS witness said he was unaware of Nigeria’s ranking in the global corruption index and also denied knowledge of alleged social media posts by political figures, including Femi Fani-Kayode and Reno Omokri, accusing President Tinubu of corruption, drug trafficking, and complicity in the murder of former Lagos governorship candidate, Funsho Williams.

At the close of proceedings, Abubakar applied for an adjournment to continue the cross-examination of the witness.

Justice Umar adjourned the case until March 5, 2026, for continuation of cross-examination.

Tags: Omoyele Sowore
ShareTweetShareSend
Previous Post

Atiku Did Not Hold Private Meeting with Yari — Media Aide

Next Post

Adron Homes at 14: From Shimawa to Over 60 Livable Communities, Building Cities Beyond Estates

Vanessa

Vanessa

I'm a journalist and relationship columnist. Nigeria Media Merit (NMMA) 1st Runner Up Award Recipient. I'm passionate about arts, entertainment,marriage, religion and politics. I love giving back to society.

Related Posts

Cubana Chief Priest Denies Participating in Imo APC Primary

Cubana Chief Priest Denies Participating in Imo APC Primary

by Vanessa
May 17, 2026
0

Celebrity businessman Pascal Okechukwu, popularly known as Cubana Chief Priest, has stated that he did not participate in the All...

APC Primaries Turn Deadly as Man Is Killed in Plateau

APC Primaries Turn Deadly as Man Is Killed in Plateau

by Vanessa
May 17, 2026
0

There was pandemonium in Kasuwan Ali community, Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State on Sunday as a resident, Sani...

LP Cautions Aspirants Over Nomination Forms Linked to Abure

LP Cautions Aspirants Over Nomination Forms Linked to Abure

by Vanessa
May 17, 2026
0

The leadership of the Labour Party has warned party members, supporters and aspirants against obtaining nomination forms from the embattled...

2027 Election: Obidient Faction Says Support for Obi Not Guaranteed

2027 Election: Obidient Faction Says Support for Obi Not Guaranteed

by Vanessa
May 17, 2026
0

A faction of the Obidient Movement has warned that Peter Obi could lose its support ahead of the 2027 general...

APC Approves Yahaya Bello’s Kogi Central Senate Ambition

APC Approves Yahaya Bello’s Kogi Central Senate Ambition

by Vanessa
May 17, 2026
0

Former Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, has been cleared by the All Progressives Congress (APC) to participate in the...

ISIS Second-in-Command Dies in Joint U.S.-Nigeria Offensive

ISIS Second-in-Command Dies in Joint U.S.-Nigeria Offensive

by Vanessa
May 16, 2026
0

Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, the second-in-command ‌of ISIS globally, has been killed in an operation conducted by U.S. and Nigerian forces in...

Next Post
Adron Homes at 14: From Shimawa to Over 60 Livable Communities, Building Cities Beyond Estates

Adron Homes at 14: From Shimawa to Over 60 Livable Communities, Building Cities Beyond Estates

Recommended

Tinubu returns to Abuja after Türkiye visit

Tinubu returns to Abuja after Türkiye visit

4 months ago
Dangote Refinery to Expand Capacity to 1.4 Million Barrels Daily, Poised to Become World’s Largest

Dangote Refinery to Expand Capacity to 1.4 Million Barrels Daily, Poised to Become World’s Largest

7 months ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    Newsletter

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean commodo ligula eget dolor.
    SUBSCRIBE

    Category

    • Agriculture
    • Business
    • Crime & Security
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Fashion
    • food
    • Gaming
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Movie
    • Music
    • National
    • News
    • Opinion
    • Politics
    • Religion
    • Science
    • Science & Technology
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Tech
    • Travel
    • World

    Site Links

    • Log in
    • Entries feed
    • Comments feed
    • WordPress.org

    About Us

    We bring you the best Premium WordPress Themes that perfect for news, magazine, personal blog, etc. Check our landing page for details.

    • Privacy Policy
    • About Us
    • Contact
    • Terms of Use

    © 2026 VON Digest. All rights reserved. Designed by IgniteWeb.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Crime & Security
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Lifestyle
    • News
    • Society
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Science & Technology
    • Sports
    • Tech
    • World

    © 2026 VON Digest. All rights reserved. Designed by IgniteWeb.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In