• Home
  • Business
  • Crime & Security
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Society
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
Thursday, February 19, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
VON Digest
  • Home
  • Business
  • Crime & Security
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Society
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
  • Home
  • Business
  • Crime & Security
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Society
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
No Result
View All Result
VON Digest
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Jonathan Returns to Abuja After Evacuation from Guinea-Bissau

by Vanessa
November 27, 2025
in News
0
Jonathan Returns to Abuja After Evacuation from Guinea-Bissau
0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has arrived in Abuja after being evacuated from Guinea-Bissau in the wake of a military takeover in the West African country.

Jonathan landed at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport on Thursday night after leaving Guinea-Bissau aboard a government aircraft. A video shared online showed him being warmly received on arrival.

RelatedPosts

Police Verify Enugu Crash, 11 Passengers Dead

National Assembly Clears N1.504trn Nigerian Army Budget

FG Warns of Higher Temperatures, Unstable Rainfall in 2026 Climate Outlook

He was in the country as head of the West African Elders Forum Election Observation Mission for last Sunday’s presidential and legislative elections before soldiers seized power on Wednesday.

Gunshots were earlier reported near the presidential palace as troops blocked major routes in the capital. The head of the presidential military office, General Denis N’Canha, announced that a joint command of all branches of the armed forces had taken over the government “until further notice.”

President Umaro Sissoco Embaló later told France24 by phone that he had been overthrown. AFP reported that he was sheltering in a building near the military headquarters with the chief of staff and the interior minister.

Both Embaló and opposition candidate Fernando Dias had declared victory in the disputed election, with provisional results expected on Thursday.

The military authorities claimed they uncovered a plot involving drug traffickers and the importation of weapons aimed at disrupting the constitutional order. By Thursday, they announced that the country’s borders had been reopened.

In a joint statement on Wednesday, Jonathan, alongside former Mozambican President Filipe Nyusi and ECOWAS observer mission head Issifu Kamara, condemned the coup, warning that it threatened Guinea-Bissau’s democratic process.

Amid concerns over Jonathan’s safety, the House of Representatives earlier urged the Federal Government to use diplomatic channels to secure his return. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs later confirmed that the former president had departed Guinea-Bissau safely with members of his delegation.

“Former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is safe and has left Guinea-Bissau on a special flight with his team, including Mohamed Chambas,” spokesperson Kimiebi Ebienfa said on Thursday.

Tags: Goodluck Jonathan
Previous Post

El-Rufai Joins ADC, Signals New Political Direction Ahead of 2027

Next Post

Court Throws Out Suit by Ex-Binance Executive Against NSA, EFCC

Vanessa

Vanessa

I'm a journalist and relationship columnist. Nigeria Media Merit (NMMA) 1st Runner Up Award Recipient. I'm passionate about arts, entertainment,marriage, religion and politics. I love giving back to society.

Related Posts

Police Verify Enugu Crash, 11 Passengers Dead

Police Verify Enugu Crash, 11 Passengers Dead

by Vanessa
February 18, 2026
0

The Enugu State Police Command on Wednesday said eleven people died in a road accident in the Udi Local Government...

National Assembly Clears N1.504trn Nigerian Army Budget

National Assembly Clears N1.504trn Nigerian Army Budget

by Vanessa
February 16, 2026
0

The National Assembly has approved the N1.504,251,069,722 trillion 2026 budget proposal for the Nigerian Army. The approval was given after...

FG Warns of Higher Temperatures, Unstable Rainfall in 2026 Climate Outlook

FG Warns of Higher Temperatures, Unstable Rainfall in 2026 Climate Outlook

by Vanessa
February 10, 2026
0

The Federal Government has warned that Nigeria is likely to experience warmer temperatures and varying rainfall patterns in 2026, urging...

FG Begins Six-Week Closure of Sections of Lagos–Ibadan Expressway

FG Begins Six-Week Closure of Sections of Lagos–Ibadan Expressway

by Vanessa
February 7, 2026
0

The Federal Government has said it will close part of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway for six weeks to enable the federal...

APC to Welcome Kwankwaso After Kano Governor’s Defection

APC to Welcome Kwankwaso After Kano Governor’s Defection

by Vanessa
February 2, 2026
0

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has declared that it is prepared to receive the leader of the New Nigeria Peoples...

IPOB Declares Monday Shutdown Across South-East, Demands Nnamdi Kanu’s Release

IPOB Declares Monday Shutdown Across South-East, Demands Nnamdi Kanu’s Release

by Vanessa
January 30, 2026
0

The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has announced a region-wide shutdown across the South-East on Monday, February 2, calling on...

Next Post
Court Throws Out Suit by Ex-Binance Executive Against NSA, EFCC

Court Throws Out Suit by Ex-Binance Executive Against NSA, EFCC

Recommended

141m Nigerians trapped in poverty as politicians battle for power — Obi

141m Nigerians trapped in poverty as politicians battle for power — Obi

1 month ago
Benue Assembly Suspends Dajoh, Clears Alia’s Nominees

Benue Assembly Suspends Ex-Speaker Dajoh, Confirms Alia’s Nominees

6 months ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    Newsletter

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean commodo ligula eget dolor.
    SUBSCRIBE

    Category

    • Agriculture
    • Business
    • Crime & Security
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Fashion
    • food
    • Gaming
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Movie
    • Music
    • National
    • News
    • Politics
    • Religion
    • Science
    • Science & Technology
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Tech
    • Travel
    • World

    Site Links

    • Log in
    • Entries feed
    • Comments feed
    • WordPress.org

    About Us

    We bring you the best Premium WordPress Themes that perfect for news, magazine, personal blog, etc. Check our landing page for details.

    • Privacy Policy
    • About Us
    • Contact
    • Terms of Use

    © 2026 VON Digest. All rights reserved. Designed by IgniteWeb.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Crime & Security
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Lifestyle
    • News
    • Society
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Science & Technology
    • Sports
    • Tech
    • World

    © 2026 VON Digest. All rights reserved. Designed by IgniteWeb.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In