• Home
  • Business
  • Crime & Security
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Society
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
Friday, February 20, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
VON Digest
  • Home
  • Business
  • Crime & Security
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Society
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
  • Home
  • Business
  • Crime & Security
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Society
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
No Result
View All Result
VON Digest
No Result
View All Result
Home Crime & Security

Anxiety Grows as Bandits Hold 22 in Kwara South, Demand ₦400m Ransom

by Vanessa
January 9, 2026
in Crime & Security
0
Anxiety Grows as Bandits Hold 22 in Kwara South, Demand ₦400m Ransom
0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Tension is rising across communities in Kwara South Senatorial District as suspected bandits continue to hold no fewer than 22 people hostage, demanding more than ₦400 million, alongside food items and drinks, for their release.

Investigations show that the affected communities include Adanla, Isapa, Isanlu-Isin, and Owa-Onire. These areas reportedly fall outside the reach of existing military and security formations set up by the state and federal governments.

RelatedPosts

US Soldiers Arrive in Nigeria to Support Fight Against Islamist Militants

US Acts Against Eight Nigerians Over Suspected Terror Connections

FG Opens Probe into Temu Over Data Privacy Concerns

Residents revealed that the bandits recently relocated from Okeode, Babanla, and Eruku. Military bases had earlier been established in those communities. The criminals allegedly moved to nearby settlements with little or no security presence, triggering fresh waves of abductions and widespread fear.

At least nine people remain in captivity, including the monarch of Afin in the Ile Ere District, Oba Simeon Olanipekun, and his son, Olaolu, a youth corps member abducted in December.

Also being held are nine persons kidnapped in Isapa, two victims seized along the Isanlu-Isin highway earlier this year, and two others abducted in Owa-Onire in December.

The Olowa of Owa-Onire, Oba AbdulRahman Fabiyi, who was kidnapped in 2024 and freed after a ₦5 million ransom, confirmed that two residents of his community are still in captivity.

“I spoke with them yesterday. We have paid ₦2 million and negotiated the ransom down to ₦800,000, along with food and drinks they requested, before they can be released,” the monarch said on Friday.

Oba Fabiyi decried the absence of security in Owa-Onire and urged the state government to establish a police station in the community.

“They operate freely here because there is no security presence. Our fear is that after collecting ransom and food, they will return to abduct more people,” he said.

Sharing his own experience, Oba Simeon Olanipekun said the vast forests and numerous escape routes in the area have made security operations difficult.

“The forest is extremely large, with many routes. The bandits know the terrain very well. That is why they warn captives not to try escaping,” he explained.

He added that the thickness of the forests continues to pose serious challenges for security agencies and appealed to the state government for stronger protection for his people.

Speaking on the situation, the Coordinator of the Joint Security Watch for Kwara South, Zubair Olaitan, said efforts to arrest or neutralise the bandits have been hampered by the terrain.

“The vast forests, hills, caves, and porous borders provide safe havens for these criminals,” he said.

Olaitan also alleged that some locals assist the bandits with food, shelter, and intelligence, making tracking difficult. He added that poor communication tools, including the absence of drones, and weak coordination have further slowed security efforts.

Despite these challenges, he said the Kwara State Government, working with federal agencies, has taken steps to improve security.

“Forest guards have been deployed, and joint patrols are ongoing. Some bandits have been neutralised, and suspects arrested for supplying weapons, food, and logistics,” he said.

Olaitan disclosed that there has been no progress on the ₦300 million ransom demanded for the release of nine people abducted in Adanla, Ifelodun Local Government Area, on Boxing Day, December 26, 2025.

“The bandits have contacted community leaders three times. They insist the victims will not be released unless the ₦300 million is paid,” he said.

The victims were kidnapped after the attackers failed in an attempt to abduct the community’s monarch, King David Olarinoye, who was away in Igbaja during the attack.

Isapa Community Struggles With ₦35m Ransom Demand

In Isapa, Ekiti Local Government Area, the Akeweje of Isapa land, Chief Idowu Sunday, said 11 people are currently in captivity, with bandits demanding ₦35 million.

He revealed that a pregnant Hausa woman among the captives was recently taken on a motorcycle to a stream after she went into labour.

“The bandits first demanded ₦300 million, claiming they collected ₦350 million to release those abducted at CAC Oke-Isegun in Eruku,” he said.

After negotiations, the demand dropped to ₦35 million. However, when three community members went to deliver ₦4 million, two of them were seized.

“They called the money a recharge card and captured the two men. That brought the number of captives to 11. One person escaped,” he added.

Chief Sunday appealed to the state government for urgent intervention.

“We know what these bandits are capable of. We do not want them to kill our people. The government should please come to our aid,” he said.

Previous Post

Adron CEO Reaffirms Commitment to Nigeria’s Cultures and Traditional Institutions

Next Post

Trump Warns of More US Strikes in Nigeria Over Christian Killings

Vanessa

Vanessa

I'm a journalist and relationship columnist. Nigeria Media Merit (NMMA) 1st Runner Up Award Recipient. I'm passionate about arts, entertainment,marriage, religion and politics. I love giving back to society.

Related Posts

US Soldiers Arrive in Nigeria to Support Fight Against Islamist Militants

US Soldiers Arrive in Nigeria to Support Fight Against Islamist Militants

by Vanessa
February 17, 2026
0

About 100 US soldiers have arrived in Nigeria to train the West African nation's armed forces and help them with...

US Acts Against Eight Nigerians Over Suspected Terror Connections

US Acts Against Eight Nigerians Over Suspected Terror Connections

by Vanessa
February 16, 2026
0

The United States government has frozen the assets and properties of eight Nigerians accused of having links with the Islamic...

FG Opens Probe into Temu Over Data Privacy Concerns

FG Opens Probe into Temu Over Data Privacy Concerns

by Vanessa
February 16, 2026
0

The Nigerian government, through the Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC), has ordered an immediate investigation into the data processing activities...

DSS charges El-Rufai over alleged phone interception, cybercrime violations

DSS charges El-Rufai over alleged phone interception, cybercrime violations

by Vanessa
February 16, 2026
0

The Department of State Services (DSS) has filed a charge against the immediate past governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai...

MURIC Questions Civil Society’s Silence on Proposed US Troop Deployment in Nigeria

MURIC Questions Civil Society’s Silence on Proposed US Troop Deployment in Nigeria

by Vanessa
February 6, 2026
0

The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has demanded clarifications for the presence of American troops in Nigeria. The group expressed concern...

Kwara Massacre: Akpoti-Uduaghan Describes Killings as Unacceptable, Disturbing

Kwara Massacre: Akpoti-Uduaghan Describes Killings as Unacceptable, Disturbing

by Vanessa
February 6, 2026
0

The Senator representing Kogi Central Senatorial District, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, has described the massacre in Kwara State as disturbing and unacceptable....

Next Post
Trump Warns of More US Strikes in Nigeria Over Christian Killings

Trump Warns of More US Strikes in Nigeria Over Christian Killings

Recommended

5 Celebrity Fashion Picks This Week

TCL’s Top 5 Celebrity Fashion Picks of the Week: Glamour, Grace, and Bold Statements

7 months ago
Obi Slams Nigeria Police Force Over Tear-Gassing of Demonstrators

Obi Slams Nigeria Police Force Over Tear-Gassing of Demonstrators

3 days ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    Newsletter

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean commodo ligula eget dolor.
    SUBSCRIBE

    Category

    • Agriculture
    • Business
    • Crime & Security
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Fashion
    • food
    • Gaming
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Movie
    • Music
    • National
    • News
    • Politics
    • Religion
    • Science
    • Science & Technology
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Tech
    • Travel
    • World

    Site Links

    • Log in
    • Entries feed
    • Comments feed
    • WordPress.org

    About Us

    We bring you the best Premium WordPress Themes that perfect for news, magazine, personal blog, etc. Check our landing page for details.

    • Privacy Policy
    • About Us
    • Contact
    • Terms of Use

    © 2026 VON Digest. All rights reserved. Designed by IgniteWeb.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Crime & Security
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Lifestyle
    • News
    • Society
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Science & Technology
    • Sports
    • Tech
    • World

    © 2026 VON Digest. All rights reserved. Designed by IgniteWeb.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In