• Home
  • Business
  • Crime & Security
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Society
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
Saturday, February 21, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
VON Digest
  • Home
  • Business
  • Crime & Security
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Society
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
  • Home
  • Business
  • Crime & Security
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Society
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
No Result
View All Result
VON Digest
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Sowore Sues Police, IGP, Lagos Commissioner for ₦500m Over Rights Violation

by Vanessa
November 5, 2025
in News
0
Sowore Sues Police, IGP, Lagos Commissioner for ₦500m Over Rights Violation
0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos, has received a ₦500 million fundamental rights enforcement suit filed by human rights activist and former presidential candidate, Omoyele Sowore, against the Nigeria Police Force, Inspector-General of Police Kayode Egbetokun, and Lagos State Commissioner of Police Moshood Jimoh.

The suit, filed through a team of human rights lawyers, alleges that the police violated Sowore’s fundamental rights to dignity, liberty, and freedom of movement after the Lagos Commissioner of Police declared him “wanted” without any formal charge or invitation.

RelatedPosts

Nigerian Navy Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, Passes Away

Police Verify Enugu Crash, 11 Passengers Dead

National Assembly Clears N1.504trn Nigerian Army Budget

In an affidavit of urgency personally sworn to by Sowore, he stated that on November 3, 2025, the Lagos police chief publicly branded him a fugitive in the media, despite the absence of a warrant or official summons.

Sowore, represented by lawyers Tope Temokun, Marshal Abubakar, Inibehe Effiong, A.E. Adegoroye, Moshood Shittu, Deji Adeyanju, O.D. Olatunde, and I.E. Osunyikanmi, is seeking judicial protection of his rights under Sections 34, 35, 39, 40, 41, and 46 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), and Articles 4–12 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights.

The activist is requesting several interim orders, including an injunction restraining the respondents—particularly the Lagos Commissioner of Police—from further harassing, intimidating, or declaring him wanted. He also seeks to nullify the earlier declaration describing him as a wanted person pending the determination of the substantive motion.

Sowore told the court that he had never received any police invitation or warrant of arrest and maintained that the “wanted” declaration was meant to tarnish his image and suppress his activism.

He described himself as a law-abiding citizen and said he would have honoured any lawful invitation if properly served.

“The declaration by the Lagos Commissioner of Police unlawfully taints my reputation as a journalist and former presidential candidate,” he stated. “It was a deliberate attempt to silence me and restrict my freedom.”

Sowore urged the court to intervene urgently, arguing that the police actions had already infringed on his constitutional rights.

He further stressed in his affidavit that unless the court intervenes, the respondents would continue to threaten and harass him.

The court is expected to fix a date for hearing the application in the coming days.

Tags: Omoyele Sowore
Previous Post

Tinubu Seeks Senate Approval for ₦1.15trn Domestic Loan to Fund 2025 Budget Deficit

Next Post

Adeleke urges for Calm, Says PDP Crisis is an Internal Matter

Vanessa

Vanessa

I'm a journalist and relationship columnist. Nigeria Media Merit (NMMA) 1st Runner Up Award Recipient. I'm passionate about arts, entertainment,marriage, religion and politics. I love giving back to society.

Related Posts

Nigerian Navy Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, Passes Away

Nigerian Navy Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, Passes Away

by Vanessa
February 20, 2026
0

Katagum, a former chief of naval intelligence, died after a protracted illness according to Abiodun Folorunsho, director of naval information....

Police Verify Enugu Crash, 11 Passengers Dead

Police Verify Enugu Crash, 11 Passengers Dead

by Vanessa
February 18, 2026
0

The Enugu State Police Command on Wednesday said eleven people died in a road accident in the Udi Local Government...

National Assembly Clears N1.504trn Nigerian Army Budget

National Assembly Clears N1.504trn Nigerian Army Budget

by Vanessa
February 16, 2026
0

The National Assembly has approved the N1.504,251,069,722 trillion 2026 budget proposal for the Nigerian Army. The approval was given after...

FG Warns of Higher Temperatures, Unstable Rainfall in 2026 Climate Outlook

FG Warns of Higher Temperatures, Unstable Rainfall in 2026 Climate Outlook

by Vanessa
February 10, 2026
0

The Federal Government has warned that Nigeria is likely to experience warmer temperatures and varying rainfall patterns in 2026, urging...

FG Begins Six-Week Closure of Sections of Lagos–Ibadan Expressway

FG Begins Six-Week Closure of Sections of Lagos–Ibadan Expressway

by Vanessa
February 7, 2026
0

The Federal Government has said it will close part of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway for six weeks to enable the federal...

APC to Welcome Kwankwaso After Kano Governor’s Defection

APC to Welcome Kwankwaso After Kano Governor’s Defection

by Vanessa
February 2, 2026
0

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has declared that it is prepared to receive the leader of the New Nigeria Peoples...

Next Post
Adeleke Calls for Calm, Says PDP Crisis is an Internal Matter

Adeleke urges for Calm, Says PDP Crisis is an Internal Matter

Recommended

NNPC Spokesperson Femi Soneye Resigns After 20 Months in Office

NNPC Spokesperson Femi Soneye Resigns After 20 Months in Office

8 months ago
INEC Under Pressure to Deny Team New Nigeria Registration

INEC Under Pressure to Deny Team New Nigeria Registration, Group Alleges

10 months ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    Newsletter

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean commodo ligula eget dolor.
    SUBSCRIBE

    Category

    • Agriculture
    • Business
    • Crime & Security
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Fashion
    • food
    • Gaming
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Movie
    • Music
    • National
    • News
    • Politics
    • Religion
    • Science
    • Science & Technology
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Tech
    • Travel
    • World

    Site Links

    • Log in
    • Entries feed
    • Comments feed
    • WordPress.org

    About Us

    We bring you the best Premium WordPress Themes that perfect for news, magazine, personal blog, etc. Check our landing page for details.

    • Privacy Policy
    • About Us
    • Contact
    • Terms of Use

    © 2026 VON Digest. All rights reserved. Designed by IgniteWeb.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Crime & Security
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Lifestyle
    • News
    • Society
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Science & Technology
    • Sports
    • Tech
    • World

    © 2026 VON Digest. All rights reserved. Designed by IgniteWeb.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In