• Home
  • Business
  • Crime & Security
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Society
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
Monday, February 16, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
VON Digest
  • Home
  • Business
  • Crime & Security
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Society
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
  • Home
  • Business
  • Crime & Security
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Events
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Society
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Science & Technology
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
No Result
View All Result
VON Digest
No Result
View All Result
Home Crime & Security

Nnamdi Kanu Refuses to Enter Defence in Terrorism Trial, Says Charges Are Invalid

by Vanessa
October 27, 2025
in Crime & Security
0
Nnamdi Kanu Refuses to Enter Defence in Terrorism Trial, Says Charges Are Invalid
0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, on Monday, told the Federal High Court in Abuja that he would not present a defence in his ongoing terrorism trial, insisting that the charges against him lack legal validity.

During the resumed hearing presided over by Justice James Omotosho, Kanu maintained that there were no existing Nigerian laws supporting the allegations levelled against him. He argued that since the charges were “baseless,” there was no need for him to defend them.

RelatedPosts

US Acts Against Eight Nigerians Over Suspected Terror Connections

FG Opens Probe into Temu Over Data Privacy Concerns

DSS charges El-Rufai over alleged phone interception, cybercrime violations

“There is no law in this country upon which the prosecution can base these charges. If there is any, let the court read it to me,” Kanu told the judge.

The IPOB leader, who faces multiple counts related to terrorism, incitement, and unlawful broadcasts, said his continued detention was “fraudulent” and contrary to earlier judicial pronouncements. He requested either an immediate release or bail based on health grounds.

Kanu’s declaration comes shortly after he dismissed his legal team led by former Attorney-General of the Federation, Kanu Agabi (SAN), opting instead to represent himself.

Justice Omotosho cautioned Kanu about the implications of refusing to enter a defence after the court had previously dismissed his “no-case submission.” The judge explained that under criminal law, a defendant has three options once the prosecution closes its case — file a no-case submission, present a defence, or choose not to defend, thereby relying on the prosecution’s evidence.

However, the judge warned that refusing to defend oneself “after a no-case submission has been dismissed is very dangerous.” He advised Kanu to consult legal experts before making a final decision.

Despite the warning, Kanu stood his ground, maintaining that the charges “should not exist in the first place.”

Justice Omotosho adjourned the matter until November 4, 5, and 6, giving Kanu time to decide whether to present a defence or maintain his position.

Prosecuting counsel, Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), argued that Kanu’s refusal to defend himself implied that the case should move directly to judgment based on the prosecution’s evidence.

Justice Omotosho, however, clarified that Kanu’s claim of invalid charges amounted to a form of defence, and the court would allow time for a written submission to that effect.

Nnamdi Kanu was first arrested in 2015 over his broadcasts advocating the secession of Nigeria’s South-East to form the independent nation of Biafra. He was granted bail in 2017 but fled the country after a military raid on his residence in Abia State.

He was rearrested in Kenya and returned to Nigeria in June 2021. Since then, he has been in the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS).

Kanu is facing seven charges, including incitement, terrorism, and illegal importation of a radio transmitter. The prosecution alleges that his broadcasts led to violence, destruction of property, and deaths in parts of the South-East.

Although the Court of Appeal discharged him in October 2022, citing his illegal extradition from Kenya, the Supreme Court reversed that decision in December 2023, ordering the trial to continue.

Charges Against Kanu

The federal government accuses Kanu of:

Making inflammatory broadcasts that led to killings and unrest in the South-East.

Enforcing sit-at-home orders and threatening citizens and security operatives.

Leading IPOB, which was declared a terrorist organisation in 2017.

Importing a radio transmitter into Nigeria under false declarations.

Most of the charges were filed under the Terrorism Prevention Amendment Act, 2013, while one was brought under the Criminal Code Act.

The prosecution closed its case in June after presenting five witnesses.

Kanu’s next court appearance in November will determine whether he proceeds with a defence or relies solely on the court’s interpretation of his “no valid charge” claim.

Tags: Nnamdi Kanu
Previous Post

Lagos Assembly Endorses New Administrative Guidelines for Local Governments, LCDAs

Next Post

ADC Accuses Tinubu’s Government of Manipulating Food Prices, ‘Weaponising Hunger’

Vanessa

Vanessa

I'm a journalist and relationship columnist. Nigeria Media Merit (NMMA) 1st Runner Up Award Recipient. I'm passionate about arts, entertainment,marriage, religion and politics. I love giving back to society.

Related Posts

US Acts Against Eight Nigerians Over Suspected Terror Connections

US Acts Against Eight Nigerians Over Suspected Terror Connections

by Vanessa
February 16, 2026
0

The United States government has frozen the assets and properties of eight Nigerians accused of having links with the Islamic...

FG Opens Probe into Temu Over Data Privacy Concerns

FG Opens Probe into Temu Over Data Privacy Concerns

by Vanessa
February 16, 2026
0

The Nigerian government, through the Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC), has ordered an immediate investigation into the data processing activities...

DSS charges El-Rufai over alleged phone interception, cybercrime violations

DSS charges El-Rufai over alleged phone interception, cybercrime violations

by Vanessa
February 16, 2026
0

The Department of State Services (DSS) has filed a charge against the immediate past governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai...

MURIC Questions Civil Society’s Silence on Proposed US Troop Deployment in Nigeria

MURIC Questions Civil Society’s Silence on Proposed US Troop Deployment in Nigeria

by Vanessa
February 6, 2026
0

The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has demanded clarifications for the presence of American troops in Nigeria. The group expressed concern...

Kwara Massacre: Akpoti-Uduaghan Describes Killings as Unacceptable, Disturbing

Kwara Massacre: Akpoti-Uduaghan Describes Killings as Unacceptable, Disturbing

by Vanessa
February 6, 2026
0

The Senator representing Kogi Central Senatorial District, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, has described the massacre in Kwara State as disturbing and unacceptable....

ADC: Kaiama massacre, evidence of total collapse of security under Tinubu

ADC: Kaiama massacre, evidence of total collapse of security under Tinubu

by Vanessa
February 6, 2026
0

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has condemned the killing of about 170 people in Kwara State, describing the attack as...

Next Post
ADC Accuses Tinubu’s Government of Manipulating Food Prices, ‘Weaponising Hunger’

ADC Accuses Tinubu’s Government of Manipulating Food Prices, ‘Weaponising Hunger’

Recommended

MTV Base Set to Storm Calabar with ‘Base Day’ Music Rave on June 29

MTV Base Set to Storm Calabar with ‘Base Day’ Music Rave on June 29

8 months ago
FBI Offers $10,000 Reward for Nigerian Fraud Suspect Olumide Adebiyi Adediran

FBI Offers $10,000 Reward for Nigerian Fraud Suspect Olumide Adebiyi Adediran

5 months ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    Newsletter

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean commodo ligula eget dolor.
    SUBSCRIBE

    Category

    • Agriculture
    • Business
    • Crime & Security
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Fashion
    • food
    • Gaming
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Movie
    • Music
    • National
    • News
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Science & Technology
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Tech
    • Travel
    • World

    Site Links

    • Log in
    • Entries feed
    • Comments feed
    • WordPress.org

    About Us

    We bring you the best Premium WordPress Themes that perfect for news, magazine, personal blog, etc. Check our landing page for details.

    • Privacy Policy
    • About Us
    • Contact
    • Terms of Use

    © 2026 VON Digest. All rights reserved. Designed by IgniteWeb.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Business
    • Crime & Security
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Lifestyle
    • News
    • Society
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Science & Technology
    • Sports
    • Tech
    • World

    © 2026 VON Digest. All rights reserved. Designed by IgniteWeb.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password?

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In