Buratai Takes A Bow, Says Army Better Positioned To Defend Nigeria
Lieutenant General Tukur Yusufu Buratai, immediate past Chief of Army Staff, pulled out from the Army today, Friday, January 29 with assurance that he is leaving behind a Nigerian Army that has been professionally positioned for effective service delivery through intelligence gathering techniques and equipment.
He disclosed this at the pull out parade held in his honour in Abuja.
President Muhammadu Buhari, announcing the change of guards in the armed forces had commended the brilliant efforts made by Buratai and other service chiefs in the fight against terrorism “President Buhari thanks the outgoing Service Chiefs for what he calls their “overwhelming achievements in our efforts at bringing enduring peace to our dear country,” wishing them well in their future endeavours,” the official stamen stated.
In the estimation of bother local and international analysts, General Buratai has done remarkably well in transforming the army into a professional force, able to defend Nigeria’s democracy.
His indelible marks in the war on terror and in infrastructural development for the Nigerian Army is unparalleled.
The ex-COAS described his retirement after 40 years of service as historic having placed the Army better positioned to fight on.
He thanked troops serving at home and abroad, noting that the military would not remain the same owing to his transformational leadership and achievements.
His words: “My retirement after 40 years of service is historic, hence it calls for gratitude.” He added that the Nigerian Army had been better positioned with intelligence gathering techniques and equipment.
Buratai insisted that the security situation in country is largely stabilised under his watch. He said his administration would be remembered for three things – improved professionalism, improved responsiveness to personnel welfare and responsiveness to Nigeria’s democratic system.